Are you one of those who wish to add up some muscle mass? If yes, then you would be aware of the fact that you will have to start consuming the whey protein powder to achieve those body goals. To get that perfectly shredded and defined body like the powerlifters and bodybuilders, you would certainly need to consume the whey protein. Besides, to enhance the benefits of your workout regime, it is important to pick the best protein powder. Protein powders help the body deal with intense exercises and get the desired effects safely as soon as possible.
For many people, and whey protein is still a hullabaloo. They are not much aware of what are the whey protein benefits and side effects. Seeing the unawareness amongst a large number of people, we have come up with an article that will explain to you a lot about the supplement. So, let us begin now!
Types of the Whey Protein
To save your time and prevent you from getting confused, we have compiled a list of all the types of whey proteins that you should know about.
Whey Protein Concentrate
We all know how costly a whey protein powder is and hence, the WPC came into existence. It is the least expensive and also you can add flavors to it very easily. When talking about the quality of concentrate we can say that it ranges across a broad spectrum. Therefore, always be careful when buying it. The ones with higher concentration fall under the nutritional category, while the lower ones are used to add in the food products. Make sure that when you buy the WPC, always check properly. It is because being a concentrate this one might have the traces of hormones that are given to cows. If the hormone concentration is higher, then it can cause a lot of whey protein side effects.
Whey Protein Hydrolysate
This one is the most costly form of whey protein and all thanks to its manufacturing process. It guarantees a quick result since it can alleviate the protein hydrolysis process of the body. Not only this, but it also increases the insulin levels of an individual which are certainly important for muscle building. This one has at least 80-90% protein. Most bodybuilders and athletes these days prefer consuming the Whey protein hydrolysate.
Whey Protein Isolate
Lastly, the isolate is a much more advanced form of WPC with 90% protein concentration and lesser amount of fat. It is usually used by the professional in combination with the whey protein concentrate.
Benefits of the Whey Protein Powder
The whey protein has a lot of advantages. Today we will be discussing a few of the important whey protein benefits.
- Consumption of whey protein helps an individual to gain muscle strength and mass. It helps in releasing the anabolic hormones which can trigger muscle growth, such as insulin. Leucine content present in the whey protein helps in stimulating the protein synthesis in the muscles of our body. Unlike the other proteins in the market, whey does help in gaining muscle mass much faster.
- It has an amazing effect on your hunger satiety. We all know that protein is at the highest position when it comes to satisfying the hunger pangs. Not only it enhances the expenditure of energy but also balances it with your calorie consumption. Research findings also show that you cut your hunger cravings by 60 percent if you consume 1/4th protein in your diet. You will lose about eight pounds of weight by mixing whey protein consumption along with weight lifting while increasing lean muscle mass.
- You will be glad to know that whey protein does not only benefit adults but can also be beneficial for infants. Well, yes, if you make the kids between 3-12 months consume protein. It will help in lowering the risks of eczema and allergic diseases. However, eating whey protein would have little effect on their susceptibility to these situations until the infant has grown up past the mentioned age.
- Whey protein can be more efficient than casein protein in lowering the overall and LDL cholesterol.
- It has been proved that drinking whey protein powder improves athletic ability. It raises the pace of your running and makes you heal from your workouts faster.
- The people suffering from hypertension have noticed that consuming whey protein can be beneficial in reducing blood pressure.
Side Effects of Whey Protein
The experts say that the consumption of whey protein in the recommended dosage is certainly safe. However, excessive intake of whey protein powder can cause different digestive problems like diarrhea, bloating, and hyperactive bowel movements. There are a lot of other side effects of whey protein that you need to know. Some people have experienced nausea, thirst, muscle cramps, headaches, and reduced appetite. Many females have complained of acne breakout if in case they take do not properly manage the number of supplements. Apart from this, there are many other side effects which are as follows.
Unwanted Fat Deposition
To enhance the flavors, a small amount of sugar has been added to the protein powder by many companies. Some of them can also add a little amount of fat. So, regular or increased intake of such protein can certainly increase the fat amount in your body.
If you are already suffering from kidney problems, then make sure that you stop consuming whey protein. Since, it can cause the formation of kidney stones which can be a huge problem to your health later on.
Increases Cardiovascular Risks
If you are a consumer who is suffering from heart disease, make sure that you always eat whey protein as per the prescribed dose. Exceeding this dose could lead to cardiac arrhythmia, cardiac arrest, and maybe even total loss of cardiac function.
Since, we are done discussing the benefits, side effects, and types of whey protein. We can say that whey is certainly a good source of protein for all the freaks who wish to build muscle mass. However, make sure to consult the experts before beginning to consume it.